Lucky Col
Dance as though nobody's watching, love like it's never going to hurt

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Computer says no

It's not easy working in a call centre, cooped up all day, callers slagging you off for personally causing them inconvenience, having to make sales to top up a meagre salary. No, working in a call centre is a hard hard job.

Still, that's no excuse for turning into a simpleton.

I call Orange, which was Wanadoo, which was Freeserve 9 years ago when I started with them, to ask why my broadband was no longer working. A very polite man tells me that my account has been deactivated and what I need to do is ring back, plus which options to choose to get me straight through. His accent and the slight time-delay lead me to believe he's based in India. His complete politeness and desire to make sure that, not only has he understood my problem, but has also solved it to the best of his ability, confirm his location.

I then call Orange back, choose the necessary options and get through to someone with no time-delay, a Geordie accent and absolutely no idea what politeness could mean, let alone how to execute such a concept. They must be based here.

My account was disabled in December, apparently, which is news to me since I was using it only last week. This, of course, means nothing to the Little Britain impersonator on the other end of the line, because it says on her SCREEN that it was disabled last December meaning I couldn't possibly have been using it last week. I then ask if I can reopen my account, which naturally I can't as the account has been de-activated, silly me. The next option is to set up a new account, but no, can't do that either because it says on her SCREEN that my phone line is faulty. This is the same phone line I'm calling on and was happily using broadband on up until only last week. When I explain this, I'm told to ring BT because it says on her SCREEN that the line is faulty. When I ask why it was deactivated, I'm told that it's been too long and that information isn't on the SCREEN any more. But I was using it only last …… oh, never mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home