Lucky Col
Dance as though nobody's watching, love like it's never going to hurt

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Music piracy a good thing ?

From the Guardian:

An interesting find by the BI Norwegian School of Management that while “Piracy may be the bane of the music industry … according to a new study, it may also be its engine.”

I’ve always argued that music piracy benefits the music industry in the long term, that the vast majority of people who download songs illegally wouldn’t necessarily have actually paid good money for what they downloaded in the first place, either through financial hardship (skint, student, child) or through having a greyer picture of music purchasing. There’s bands I buy CD’s from on day of release (Depeche Mode’s new album on Monday, for example), bands I’ll order off websites and other stuff I’ll happily pay a fiver for at Fopp in 6 months time. But past that is another group of music, bands I’ve got no intention of buying but wouldn’t mind listening to in case I’d got them wrong, or someone I’d maybe heard a snippet of a song on 6 Music and fancied a longer sample.

I can quite honestly say, with my hand on my heart, that I haven’t illegally downloaded anything I’d have paid for. Indeed, I have downloaded stuff from peer-to-peer sites and then off the back of a good listening gone on to purchase whole swathes of back catalogues.

Back at school, I couldn’t afford everything that I wanted, so we had a group of us who’d exchange what we did have. Home taping is killing music ? I don’t think so, home taping created long term music aficionados more like.

And the study backs up this claim, it “found that those who download music illegally are also 10 times more likely to pay for songs than those who don't.”

While there are clearly people out there who want something for nothing, not everyone who downloads music illegally is harming the music industry.

Not as much as these clowns for a start.

1 Comments:

  • Many people think that music piracy is just plain wrong. They think "it's stealing, so why do people think it's ok?" I used to be one of these people. Then my Multimedia teacher assigned our class a debate on music piracy. I was put on the PRO side. I started looking up info and learned the truth. Oh, and thanks for supplying me with info for the debate!!! :D

    By Anonymous Shaun Cable, at 1:44 PM  

Post a Comment



<< Home