Lucky Col
Dance as though nobody's watching, love like it's never going to hurt

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Room 101 #4 - Mobile phone contracts

I've never had a mobile phone contract, always preferring the relative safety of pay-as-you-go. I've seen people get stupidly high phone bills, automatically taken from their bank accounts, mainly on the basis that they seemed to have lost the art of talking using their mouths instead having 1 word conversations, at 12p per word, using the medium of 'text msgs'.

However, I'm now considering dipping my toe into contract land.

I've had a camera phone for a while now and my credit drops quicker than an x-factor loser's album sales whenever I send pictures of Forest games to my 16 year old brother-in-law in Scotland (who, while I'm at it, NEVER texts me back either, you know who you are).

Also, and this is probably a bigger reason, phone envy. A mate of mine has got one of the new TV phones and can see Premiership goals just after 5pm on a Saturday. Not much use now for your average Forest fan, but in 18 months .....

I mention in the pub that I'm after a new contract phone, and the table of people I'm with suddenly turn into a Monty Python sketch, The Rich Yorkshiremen. "When I was a lad ...." etc etc etc.

** start fake Yorkshire accent here **

"Get a phone like mine, 100 free minutes, 100 texts a month and a free case"

"No, no, no, you want one like mine, 200 free minutes, 200 texts, a free case plus an MP3 player"


"Call that luxury? The one I've got is better than that. 300 free minutes a WEEK, unlimited texts, a free case, MP3 player and if I lose it, a replacement to my door within 24 hours"

"Right then. The phone I've got pays you to talk, if you send a text a member of the royal family writes your message on Egyptian parchment & delivers it personally. Its case is made of solid gold and instead of a ring-tone, U2 follow you round all day with their instruments playing a selection of their hits whenever the phone rings. If you lose your phone, or even if you don't, every day a new one will be delivered by a scantily clad buxom virgin."

"And if you tell Vodafone that, they won't believe you"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home