Lucky Col
Dance as though nobody's watching, love like it's never going to hurt

Monday, April 03, 2006

Crazy

There’s something not right about the new number one, Crazy by Gnarls Barkley. The first “single” to get to number one on download sales alone.

Firstly, and don’t get me wrong, I’ve nothing against downloaded music, but this development sets a precedent signalling the potential end of physical single sales, which will then ultimately lead to the end of any physically available music content.

I used to love the physical aspect of buying a single, the picture sleeves alone well worth the 49p singles used to sell for when I was a lad. There’ve been singles I’ve bought simply on the basis of the picture sleeve alone.

Onto CD’s in the late 80’s, and even back then, there were people I knew refusing to embrace the new digital culture, refusing to accept that their music can be faithfully reproduced on anything other than thin black vinyl.

With CD’s, there’s the cover booklet to read on the tram home, for those bands who can still be bothered to thank the people who supplied their “towels” during recording.

With downloads, you’re left with a file on a PC, which you can transfer to a cheap, plastic matchbox with a headphone socket, to listen on the move. I must be in the minority; I still burn all my MP3’s onto CD’s to play them in proper CD players, like we had when we were kids.

If I’m in town, and I fancy a particular album, I’ve got HMV & Virgin to aim for. I know that they don’t stock everything, so usually head straight for Selectadisc. What I won’t do is pay a subscription to get on to a download site that doesn’t stock everything. Nobody in their right mind would pay to get into a major record store not knowing whether what they wanted was there or not.

Music has turned from an object of desire on physical & audible levels, to non-existent, disposable strings of 1’s & 0’s. As the Arctic Monkeys so eloquently put it; “There’s only music so there’s new ringtones”

Secondly, and more importantly, Crazy by Gnarls Barkley is dull, repetitive c**p.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home